Washington Post: Egypt’s plan for Gaza has Arab support – the seventh day

The American Washington Post shed light on the decision of the Arab leaders to the post -war -reconstruction plan, which allows for about one million Palestinians to stay in their lands, as an alternative to the proposal to displace Palestinians from the Gaza Strip.

The newspaper stated, in the context of a report published today, Wednesday, that Egypt’s plan, which is valued at $ 53 billion, had the approval of the Arab leaders at the Cairo summit, which was a rejection of the Trump proposal. The results of the summit were welcomed by Hamas, while Israel rejected it, while the Trump administration’s reaction came.

The American newspaper noted the criticism of the Foreign Minister, Dr. Badr Abdel -Ati, that Israel rejected the plan and described it as “unacceptable”, stressing that the Israeli position is “intransigent and extremist.” He said: “There will be no peace for Israel or the region without establishing an independent Palestinian state in accordance with the United Nations resolutions.”

The “Washington Post” reported that Hamas welcomed the results of the summit, considering it “the beginning of a new stage of Arab and Islamic consensus with the Palestinian issue,” and confirmed its rejection of any attempts to transport the Palestinians from their lands in Gaza and the occupied West Bank.

The Secretary -General of the League of Arab States, Ahmed Aboul Gheit, announced that the closing statement of the summit calls on the UN Security Council to spread an international peacekeeping force in Gaza and the occupied West Bank. He said: “Peace is the strategic choice for the Arabs,” noting that the statement refused to displace the Palestinians and supported the Egyptian reconstruction plan.

The statement also stipulated that Egypt will host an international conference in cooperation with the United Nations for the reconstruction of Gaza, and a credit fund will be established under the supervision of the World Bank to receive financial pledges to implement the early reconstruction plan. The plan requires Hamas to abandon the authority in favor of a temporary administration of non -factions, so that the Palestinian Authority can take over. The summit was attended by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, who opposes Hamas.

However, Israel rejected any role of the Palestinian Authority in Gaza, and called, along with the United States, to disarm Hamas. On the other hand, Hamas said that it is ready to give up the authority in favor of other Palestinian parties, but it will not abandon its weapon except in the context of the establishment of an independent Palestinian state.

The American newspaper re -minded that Trump caused a shock in the region last month when he proposed resettlement of the Palestinians from Gaza in other countries, saying that the United States will assume the ownership of the Strip and re -develop it to become “Rvira Middle East.” While Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu welcomed the plan, it was met with wide rejection of the Palestinians, Arab countries and human rights experts, who considered it a violation of international law.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top