Algeria stresses the necessity of activating Resolution 2730 to protect civilians and relief workers during armed conflicts – the seventh day

The delegate of Algeria at the United Nations, Ammar Bin Jameh, stressed the necessity of activating the Security Council Resolution 2730 regarding the protection of civilians and relief workers in armed conflict, noting that its effect is still limited until now.

Bin Jameh said, Wednesday, during a session of the Security Council on the protection of civilians in armed conflicts, that the meeting is held at “a decisive timing in order to activate Resolution 2730”, noting that its impact so far “is still limited despite the aspirations expressed.”

Bin Jami pointed out that a few days ago, the bodies of 15 relief workers from the Palestinian Red Crescent, the Palestinian Civil Defense and the United Nations were found in a mass grave next to their vehicles, stressing that “their assassination was carried out by the Israeli occupation forces while trying to save lives, and they deserve justice.”

The Algerian diplomat stressed the need for the Security Council to speak “in a clear voice”, noting that the year 2024 was the most deadly humanitarian workers, where more than 100 people were killed compared to 2023.

Bin Jameh stressed that this “tragic reality” imposes questions about the effectiveness of Resolution 2730, the role of the Security Council in ensuring respect for international humanitarian law, and the need to take concrete steps to protect civilians and relief workers in conflict areas.

Last Sunday, the Palestinian Red Crescent announced the recovery of 15 bodies dating back to 9 paramedics from the Red Crescent, 5 civil defense crews and an employee of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency “UNRWA”.

The organization pointed out in a statement that “the targeting of the occupation of the Red Crescent paramedics and their protected international badge can only be considered a war crime on which international humanitarian law is held accountable for its violation in full view and hearing of the whole world, which has failed until the moment to take serious steps to prevent the occupation from continuing these flagrant violations of international covenants against workers in the health and humanitarian field.”

For its part, the Ministry of Health in Gaza said that some of the bodies of the paramedics were restricted with chest bullets and were buried in a deep hole to prevent inference. The Ministry called on the international organizations and international bodies to conduct an urgent investigation and hold the occupation accountable for its crimes.

It is noteworthy that the international agreements clearly stipulated the mandatory protection of paramedics and medical workers during armed conflicts. This legal protection is mainly based on the four Geneva Conventions of 1949 and its additional protocols, as well as the Rome Basic System.

The United Nations Security Council also adopted Resolution No. 2730 on May 24, 2024, which aims to enhance the protection of humanitarian employees and United Nations staff associated with it, in addition to their headquarters and property.

The decision calls on all countries to respect and protect these employees in accordance with their obligations under international law.

The decision also urges states to consider joining the integrity of the United Nations and associated individuals and its optional protocol, and taking the necessary steps to ensure effective implementation.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top