The United Nations calls for a dangerous escalation in the West Bank – the seventh day

The director of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for the Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) called Sam Rose to stop the dangerous escalation in the West Bank after the killing of hundreds of civilians in Gaza, stressing that the situation in the Gaza Strip is very worrying, pointing to the continuous shelling of the sector for several days with no ceasefire.

This comes at a time when the United Nations Office for Human Rights in the occupied Palestinian territories expressed its deep panic over the ongoing killings of hundreds of Palestinian civilians in Gaza.

According to the United Nations Media Center, the UN official said that supplies have not entered Gaza since the beginning of this March, pointing to the killing of 600 people, including about 200 women and children.

Sam Rose added: “If the ceasefire is not resumed, this means heavy loss of life, the destruction of infrastructure and property, and an increase in the risk of infectious diseases, and huge psychological trauma, for one million children and two million civilians living in Gaza.”

Rose estimated that a million people would be deprived of food rations this month, as it would reach only one million people instead of two million, and added that six out of 25 bakeries that the World Food Program supported had already had to close.

“We have no example in modern history on the need for all children to support mental health. This is not an exaggeration, this is the matter now.”

For his part, a spokesman for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Thomaso della Longa, stressed that doctors are exhausted, basic medical supplies are about to exist, and hospital passages are crowded with people who need treatment or are waiting to know if their loved ones will remain alive.

The United Nations Office for Humanitarian Coordination said that with the continuation of hostilities throughout the sector, the Israeli closure entered all crossings in front of the goods received on its twentieth day, which is the longest closure since October 7, 2023.

The UN office warned that this last closure has a devastating effect on the population who is already facing catastrophic conditions. Every day the progress made by the United Nations and its humanitarian partners in the human field during the first six weeks of the ceasefire is eroded.

In addition to the depletion of stocks, the office warned that humanitarian operations are now strongly disabled due to hostilities, adding that civilians, including relief workers and civil assets, were attacked.

The office emphasized that the United Nations seeks to obtain concrete guarantees for the safety of its employees and operations in Gaza, following the killing of six United Nations employees and the injury of a number of others this week, including in the attack on a clearly defined complex for the United Nations.

The Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs warned that the continuous flow of injuries to clarity puts more pressure on the already collapsed health care system .. He pointed out that the humanitarian partners are estimated that more than 120 thousand Palestinians have been displaced again this week, driven by intensifying attacks and new Israeli evacuation orders throughout the Gaza Strip. This represents about six percent of the surviving population.

The UN office warned that Israel’s use of explosive weapons with a large -scale effect in such densely populated areas will lead to almost certain random effects, which constitutes a violation of the rules of international humanitarian law related to the functioning of hostilities.

He added that conducting hostilities using such means and methods in densely populated areas leads to a large scale civilian victim in a manner that is not consistent with Israel’s obligations under international humanitarian law, including the need to adhere to the basic principles of discrimination, proportion and precautions in the attack.

The United Nations Office for Human Rights in the occupied Palestinian territory said that Israel again issues the orders of forced displacement throughout Gaza and impose severe restrictions on the movement.

He added that the return of heavy shelling and collective displacement orders indicate the return of the pattern that has already forced 90 percent of the Palestinians in Gaza to displace the shooting, often. The devastating influence of the forced collective displacement is likely to be aggravated by Israel’s ban on the entry of humanitarian aid, the catastrophic shelter crisis in Gaza, and the inability to access life -saving services.

The UN office indicated that the Israeli government’s statements increase concerns about the deliberate disregard for international law and the risk of more collective punishment.

The office said that violations by one of the parties to the conflict do not justify the other party to violates, adding that targeting civilians and civil infrastructure throughout Gaza and any measures that constitute a forced transfer of the civilian population or collective punishment are violations of international law and war crimes.

The office again called on member states to take decisive measures to put an end to the hostilities in Gaza, and to ensure accountability for the grave violations of international law that were committed during the past and a half years.

He mentioned the binding measures ordered by the International Court of Justice in March 2024 that Israel should take all necessary and effective measures to ensure the provision of basic services and humanitarian relief that the Palestinians need urgently throughout Gaza, in compliance with its obligations under the agreement to prevent the crime of genocide and punish them.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top